Monday, February 20, 2012

Harry Potter Wand


I promised I would be back with more information on those amazing wands I made for Ty's birthday party, and well, I'm finally back.

Sorry it took so long but I spent way too many sleepless nights working on party decorations, and then I spent the weekend trying to recoup.


I found this idea on Your Life Uncommon.  You can go here, for her detailed tutorial.  (She has several cute ideas for Harry Potter Parties!)

While making my wands, I did make a couple of modifications that I will share with you.

1st - I used white cardstock instead of regular printing paper. (Only because thats what I had on hand. I believe the other would work just as well.)

2nd- I could not fill my wand up with hot glue.  It took three failed attempts to realize I had better come up with another idea.  What I finally settled on was this:
                           I filled the narrow end of the wand with hot glue and let it cool completely.  Then I filled and stuffed it with tissue wrapping paper until the wand felt solid.  Finally I topped the other end with more hot glue.
                          Keep in mind, I was using a low temp glue gun.  That may be why I couldn't fill it completely with the hot glue.  But I actually think this is way faster and cheaper anyway.


The kids loved them!  Ty wants them in different colors now, and Lilly said that Toby slept with his, lol.
(That's what makes those sleepless nights worth it!!)

More Harry Potter ideas coming up.......


I linked up here:
Tip Junkie handmade projects


3 comments:

  1. Lynn, these are great! I've made them myself and the original tutorial is from Instructables. They suggested using a chop stick in the center if you can't get the glue all the way in and it worked the best for me! Yours are very cute and I can only image that they're as popular in your house as they are in mine! New follower! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori! Your right these are very popular here. Ty's little brother has even been sleeping with his! LOL It's just so cute! Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning a Harry Potter birthday and I bought the instructions from Instructables. That chopstick idea is great. I will keep that in mind if the glue gives me a hard time.

    ReplyDelete