Friday, March 18, 2011

It's Official, I'm Moving!

I'm selling my house, moving in with my Mom and buying a motorhome!

It has only taken me nearly 5 years to make up my mind, but I have finally done it. I know what I want to do. Since my divorce I have jumped back and forth so many times about whether to sell or stay. Or would it be wiser to just keep it and rent it out?  Then should I buy a house closer to my Mom, or move in with her?  Then again, maybe I should chuck it all, and join the freakin' circus.

My indecision has been weighing on me for so long, and I have felt as though I have been in limbo because of it.  Therefore, it is a great sense of relief to finally have made up mind.

As with most big decisions, I believe I have made this one harder just by making it too complicated.  Then harder even still because of my control issues and maybe even possibly because I am afflicted with the "cake syndrome" (wanting it and eating too). Anyway, I have made my final decision by asking myself what two things are MOST important to me right now.  The answer:

#1 Living in Town (which is where my Mom lives, ty goes to school, etc.)

#2 Being financially able to do things with Ty as her grows up.


So, I sell my house, put the equity into savings until I can find something in/near town to buy.  I'll move in with my Mom until I find that perfect little place.  And in the meantime, I'll buy a motorhome for Ty & I to travel in.   Weekend trips camping close by and vacation trips further away. The motorhome will work as an escape as well, because we all know that once you've lived on your own it's hard to live with someone else.  Fortunately, my Mom's house is over twice as big as my house, so we can cohab without actually having to coexist. Much anyway. :-)

I think it is a perfect idea.  Now, I know what your thinking.  Your thinking that I am allowing my overly positive attitude to cloud my judgement,  aannnnd, you might be right.  But what you don't know is that I have realized (or finally accepted) is that I can stay where I am at, at we will make it.  Barely.  But if I do this move; if I sacrifice a little bit, then I will be in a position to give Ty so much more.  Not just material things, but memories. 

I can't remember but a handful of the toys I had or the clothes that I wore while I was growing up, but I remember every little weekend trip my parents took us on.  I often daydream about the places we visited and the things that we saw.  Now, those memories are all that I have left of my Dad.

Noone is promised tomorrow.  You never know when you will have to leave your children behind.  I was twenty when I lost my Dad.  Not a baby, but no where near grown up.  I didn't inherit a trust fund or a family business, but he left behind plenty of memories.  I want to give my son that same gift.  A gift that can never be spent, or lost or taken away.  Whenever it's my time to leave this world, I want to know that I left behind more for Ty than toys he will outgrow or a gaming station that will be outdated in a few short months.

No comments:

Post a Comment