Monday, May 9, 2011

Mothers's Day

I certainly hope that every had as wonderful a Mother's Day as I did!!!

I'm such a mush-melon.  I spent all day admiring what a wonderful perfect little boy I have. 

Well at least the parts where I wasn't trying to get him to quit stalling and get dressed or he'd be late for Sunday School, or begging him to quit whining in the car about not watching his Scooby-Doo movie, or cleaning up the Sweet Tea he spilled on me at Ruby Tuesdays. I wasn't keeping count, I promise!

Ha ha, no seriously.  I have been greatly blessed. I know this and I really do often marvel at his pert-near perfectness.  He has such a kind heart, a handsome face, and a charming and funny personality.  I am totally wrapped.

This realization, as many do, brings me to yet another realization.

Several years ago, after my Dad passed away,  I was visiting his (my Dad's)  BFF .  At some point during our conversation he commented on how "we (my sister and I) had our Dad wrapped around our little fingers". He said "of course he would never admit it, but it was as noticeable as a flashing billboard".

I remember laughing at the absurdity of his suggestion.  I'm supposed to believe this about the man who could strike instant fear with a look. The same man who, when he said "no", you Did Not beg and plead or whine and cry. You accepted his answer and moved on. Yeah right, I wish. 

Now as a Mother, I realize that sometimes Love makes you say "no" and it is often the reason we do so many of the perceived "mean" things we do. Fear inducing looks are excellent at correcting bad behavior and I find myself teaching Ty not to argue when told no...... because it hurts to see your child unhappy.  I look back now and realize that his firm hand in raising us actually had more to do with Love than with discipline.

Yes, I guess he really was wrapped.

Now, Now! Before you go thinking that I've turned this Mother's Day post into a Father's Day tribute, I will tell you one of THE best things about my Dad.......................

........................He was smart enough to marry my Mom!!!!

I love you Mom! Thank you for everything! I don't have to walk down memory lane for you, because we are lucky enough to still be making them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment