Monday, September 19, 2011

In Loving Memory


A watercolor i did of my Dad in 1994, and a pencil drawing
 of Ty that I completed in 2008.
I'm sad today. Yes, sad.  That's the best word to describe how I feel. 

September 19, 1997 is a day that is engraved in my memory. I can recall almost every minute of that day. 

September 19, 1997.  The day my Dad died.  He was 52 years old. I was 21.

In other posts I have touched on how I not so well coped with his death. (Actually a quick scan of my archives tells me I never published any of those, which is for the best.  They're usually not well articulated or sometimes even rational.  No one needs to try to read that.)

Anywho, It took years to get to just 'sad'.  Today, I'm not going to talk about any of that. Today, I'm going to share a poem I wrote in September 2007, the ten year anniversary of his passing.

The weather is turning colder
and the trees are mostly bare.
'Nother Yule Tide log will smolder;
'nother year you won't be there.

The holidays are nearing,
and OH how they come so fast.
It seems I've only turned around,
yet nine of them have past.

Traditions have long since faded,
for they were only done in vain.
And time has failed to offer us
any distance from the pain.

'Tho a thousand hurts have plagued me,
and there'll be hundreds more.
One ache still breaks my heart,
and will forever more.

His eyes, blue, like the clearest sky
with dreams that are just as bright.
I try to teach him everything,
and help him choose what's right.

And 'tho he'll never hold your hand,
or hear your chuckling laugh.
I pray that I can guide him
along the footsteps in your path.

Your body is long gone now,
But to me your legacy remains.
And I vow that in the end, my son will know,
More than just your name.

~Lynn M. Henderson September 2007


**Still missing you after all this time, Dad.**

No comments:

Post a Comment